Sunday, August 24, 2008

Update on the Poison Ivy

Well it's been about a week of *#@% since I discovered the rash on my arms and legs. They have now become open weeping sores that don't seem to be getting better. I can honestly say that I have never had poison ivy this bad. I think I've been thru about 2 bottles of calamine lotion and several rolls of gauze and wraps. I was living on Benadryl daily to try and keep the itching at a minimum but it always makes me tired and never with enough energy to do anything. I finally decided it was time to get to the doctor and get some relief. I have been doing some reading online about treatment and how long this agony can last. It seems that steiroids are the only thing that helps get it out of your system. Luckily the doctor thought it was bad enough that he prescribed me two weeks worth of prendizone. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep a little better soon. Some people report that within 24 hours relief is seen but then some say up to a week or two more. If it's going to be another week or two then I may have to take up a job where I can sit in a warm bath with epsom salt or baking soda all day. Well wish me luck on a quick recovery.

3 comments:

Meemee said...

Oh, Megs! Sounds miserable. That's the same thing that happened to John...he's allergic...and now he won't touch mulch. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

OSU 98 said...

Yikos! That does not sound like fun. Any ideas on where you got it from?

The Monroes said...

Feel better soon, that does not sound too fun!