Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another Trip South

This past weekend, the three of us made our way down to Naples to visit the folks. We had a great time and of course the weekend went too quickly. Mom and dad always enjoy playing with Alexis and it's quite nice because Dean and I get a little break. Alexis had a great time swimming, playing with Casey (the dog), playing with uncle Todd and reading books. Since my mom is a teacher, I think there are roughly 500 kids books in my parent's house. Alexis will read them but as of late she has been stacking all of her books as high as she can before they fall over. It keeps her entertained for quite a while. We made our way down to Olde Naples and took a stroll on the pier. We were able to see a few dolphins in the water. The weather held out most days until the afternoon when the thunderstorms would hit.
The trip home was another story. Dean had to leave and go directly to Houston for training which meant Alexis and I were on our own. We've done it several times before, however Alexis was much better behaved. I figured the time of the flight would be perfect. Right around nap time and that would mean Alexis would sleep, right? NO of course not. She fell asleep in the car on the way to the airport which meant once she has been woken up, there is no other sleep to be had. Once we made it through security, we made our way to the bathroom. Alexis did not want to use the potty and she did NOT want to be changed. She screamed so loudly that I think people thought I was beating her. I mean it was blood curdling. I didn't know what to do and I really wanted to stay in the stall until the bathroom emptied. But we didn't and I think we got a few looks. I wanted to say, What the ____ am I supposed to do? Anyway, we made our way onto the plane. It started out okay. We had a dvd player with The Wiggles movie so I thought we'd be set. 20 minutes into the movie, the video went out. So much for that. Now what. I have crayons but they wound up all over the plane. Then the bad behavior really started. I must say I can usually keep my child from hitting and biting when I have a corner to put her in for time out, but how are you supposed to discipline a child in a small seat with strangers staring at you wondering how you're letting your child get away with this. I really wanted to throw her out the window. Okay not really but I did want to pull my hair out and scream at the top of my lungs. Lets just say that was the longest 2 1/2 hours of my life for a while.
All things considered, we had a great trip and enjoyed our time. I know I am always ready for a vacation.

4 comments:

The Monroes said...

This is why I have not taken Naomi on a plane yet! I would not know what to do when she misbehaved, as she is sure to do...sorry the trip back was so long for you, I completely understand that "want to hide under a rock, high blood pressure, hot flashes" feeling when your child is acting crazy and you cannot do a thing about it!

the youngbergs said...

How dare Dean go to Houston for a "training!" I think you perfectly narrated a traveling experience of mine too! But you left out the part where I was so flustered in the airport, I accidentally took Sophie to the men's restroom. Yup...I sure did.

The Scotts said...

I can't wait for this fun age!

OSU 98 said...

So does that mean Alexis will not have a sibling soon...or ever?? You guys might be scaring me away from motherhood. What would happen if you handcuffed the child to keep her from hitting and kicking? Would CPS find that inappropriate?? :) You poor thing, I am sure home never looked better.